Policy and Legislation
- Acts, regulations and legislative instruments—media and broadcasting
Links to acts and regulations that govern broadcasting and online content.
- Acts, regulations, legislative and non-legislative instruments—communications and the digital economy
Acts, regulations and legislative instruments—communications and the digital economy
Learn about the scheme that promotes free-to-air television coverage of certain high-profile sporting events.
- Carrier powers and immunities
This page describes the powers and immunities available to telecommunications carriers.
- Competition policy and framework
Information on key elements of the government's telecommunications competition policy, the legislative framework, price controls and industry self regulation.
- Digital Radio
Information on the development of opportunities for digital radio broadcasting in Australia, including links to recent relevant reports.
- Do Not Call Register
Find information about the Do Not Call Register.
- Integrated Public Number Database
Find information about the Integrated Public Number Database.
- Online content regulation
Find links relevant to the online content scheme, including measures to protect families from offensive Internet material.
- Online gambling
Find information on the Interactive Gambling Act 2001 for restricting online gambling services to Australian customers.
- Post - Policy and Legislation
Find information about the role of the Australian Government in managing postal services legislation and the governance of Australia Post.
- Responsibilities under the Telecommunications Act
This page includes information on and links to emergency call services; telecommunications privacy; law enforcement; and national security (including protection of the physical infrastructure).
Find information on and links to legislation concerning unwanted commercial electronic messages, or spam.
- Submarine cable protection regime
This page describes the regulation of submarine cables
- Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999
Legislation that provides for a universal service regime for all Australian users of telephone or data services, a service for people with disabilities and untimed local calls and other service safeguards.
- Telecommunications Act Parts 7 and 8 requirements and exemptions
Description of the operation of the arrangements under Parts 7 and 8 of the Telecommunications Act and information on exemptions from the arrangements.
- Telephone numbering
The department provides advice to the minister on legislative and policy issues relating to telephone numbering in Australia.