The department provides advice to the Australian Government on postal policy and legislation and on issues affecting the postal industry, including setting the broad strategic policy framework and goals for Australia Post and consultations with industry, consumer groups and other government agencies and stakeholders.
Letters under 250g must be carried by Australia Post at a uniform rate across Australia. All other Australian postal services are open to competition, which provides opportunities for private mail operators to develop value-added services and niche markets. Competitive areas of the postal market include upstream operations, such as mail houses, printers and mail aggregators, and downstream areas such as parcel delivery, express mail and track and trace courier services.
- Policy and legislation
Find information about the role of the Australian Government in managing postal services legislation and the governance of Australia Post.
- About Australia Post
Find information about Australia Post, the major organisation in the Australian postal industry, the principal function of which is to supply postal services within Australia and to places outside Australia.
- International postal issues
Find information on the bodies that oversee international postal services.
- Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions on governance, reserved service/CSO, performance standards, security, complaints, services, junk mail, stamps.
- Government response to the Senate inquiry into Australia Postís treatment of injured and ill workers
Government response to the Senate Environment, Communications and the Arts References Committee inquiry into Australia Postís treatment of injured and ill workers.
- Changes to prices surveillance arrangements for Australia Post's reserved letter services (Submissions closed)
Following public consultation, the government has decided to focus the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's prices surveillance of Australia Post on ordinary letter services, such as the 60 cent basic postage rate for standard letters. Prices surveillance will be discontinued for other reserved letter services such as bulk mail.
- Australia Post
- Postal Industry Ombudsman
- Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989
- Australian Postal Corporation Regulations 1996
- Australian Postal Corporation (Performance Standards) Regulations 1998
- Commonwealth Government Enterprise Governance and Oversight Guidelines
- Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Administrative Arrangements Order